Saturday, June 10, 2006

 

Cash game coming back

Tonight I wanted to play a bit, but I didn't want to enter any tournaments or anything. I was getting started kind of late relative to the amount of time I had left to play so I figured a cash game was in order.

I sat down at a .10/.25 table at PokerStars. I bought in for the minimum (5.00), and after playing 90 minutes I managed to triple my buy-in. I was starting to feel a little tired so I decided to call it a night while I was up a bit.

I believe I have found one of the problems with my cash game. I can get pushed off by aggresive players. People raising big with second or even third pair. In tournaments I have a little different attitude - if I call them, and lose a bunch of chips, the actual money invested does not change. If I call at a cash table, and lose a bunch of chips, my bankroll has taken a hit. I think I just need more confidence in the hands I play and I need to watch my opponents more closely and monitor the hands they play. If I watch what they play I may have a better feel for when they are just trying to buy a pot.

It feels good to get back to the cash game again. Maybe I can keep some balance in my play moving forward and do both the cash games and tournaments.

Comments:
This says it all...

"I think I just need more confidence in the hands I play and I need to watch my opponents more closely and monitor the hands they play. If I watch what they play I may have a better feel for when they are just trying to buy a pot."

Just that key factor alone makes such a huge difference in my cash game vs. my tournament game.

Good luck on your return to cash games though. Anxious to hear how it goes.

-Adam
 
Im not that much of a NL player, i play it sometimes on stars on the micro limits but if then i always buy in for the maximum. It happens twice that i had the nuts in one of the early hands and could put it all in and got called by an player that got me covered and thinking i was trying to buy the pot - its a very rare situations but it happens so: Why do you block that opportunity for you and buy in with just the minimum?
 
Coming in for the minimum is just an invite to push you off of the hands.

If someone is deep-stacked, you think twice before calling his all-in with TPTK (on a non-straight/flushy board in HE). If someone just has 1/5th of their buy-in left, I wouldn't even think twice about calling.

Play at your levels and move up accordingly.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?