Monday, May 15, 2006

 

Some lessons are learned the hard way

I've commented recently on how I need to focus on tournaments. I seem to be doing pretty well on those lately, and not so good with the cash games.

I've been playing tournaments at Stars the last several days. One day I play a sit-n-go. Get first and win a nice sum (for micro-limits). I then decide to dink around with some ring games. Proceed to give back to various cash game players the profit I just made off the tournament. I play 3 more tournaments - this time turbo SnG's. I manage to break even - well not if you count the tourney fees, but for the regular entry fees. Still better than my recent cash game experience.

Tonight I play 3 SnG's. I finish out of the money in the first two and second in the 3rd. So I finish down just a hair. But I still show at approx. a 50% ITM rate in poker tracker, as well as approx. a 50% overall rate of return on tournaments. If I can just stop giving it away in the cash games, maybe my bankroll will go up a little.

Comments:
Hi Sooted,

I find i seem to have a smilar problem at the moment, i am currently playing STT speed tournaments (3 minute levels). I seem to have a decent amount of success with the tournaments but struggle in the cash games.

I think it is because it is easier to detach yourself from the value of the chips in front of you in a tournament, rather than when you are in effect gambling with additional cash for each hand in a ring game.

In cash games now i only play premium hands (or free hands from the blinds) and try to mximimise the pot when the flop hits me.

Cheers
Thirsty
 
gotta remember that change100 link and play what works. stay away from the cash games if they aren't working. good luck on the mtt's yo.
 
I thought maybe my Bloglines wasn't working. Nope, you just haven't posted in over TWO WEEKS!!!
 
Got so bad for me at one point I made the decision to "retire" from cash games. Since focuing on tournaments only, my ROI has increased signifigantly. Kind of like choosing a path when coming upon a fork in the road I suppose. Makes sense though, I really don't know many people that are both good in cash games and tournaments. Either way, good luck!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?