Wednesday, January 18, 2006

 

Tweaking my bankroll management strategy

I've been playing .10/.25 NLHE on PokerStars lately. Doing ok - buying in at the "recommended amount" (amount pre-filled in the dialog box) of $10.00. If I play between 1 and 2 hrs, I usually double up, or get a little bit more. The problem is, I'm having fun and have no reason to leave the table, so I keep playing. Now, since I'm playing with "found" money, I unintentionally loosen up my game. I see the flop on hands I should fold. Not to actual raises, typically, but I limp in on hands I would fold when I first sat at the table. I then tend to leak back 25%-50% of my winnings before quitting. Not good to build the bankroll and move up in limits.

I thought of a new strategy on the way to work this morning: I buy in. If I loose my buy-in, I quit - don't reload. If I double up, then I leave the table and cash out. If I still feel like playing, I go to a different table and start over with the same buy-in as before. That way it doesn't seem so much like "found money" and I'll keep my tight game.

That sounded good to me.

Then I read this post at Pokerati and now I'm not so sure. Maybe I won't actually treat it as "my" money but will continue to treat it as "found" money.

What do you think?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?